Microservices have become the new kid of the buzzword block in our ever colorful industry. In this hands-on workshop we will explore what microservices really mean within the relatively well established context of distributed computing/SOA, when they make sense and how to develop them using the lightweight, simple, productive Java EE programming model.
We will explore microservices step-by-step using a simple but representative example.
* We will start with a vanilla Java EE monolithic application.
* We will break down the application into sensible Java EE based microservices.
* We will then apply concepts such as fat-jars, dynamic discovery, client-side fault-tolerance and circuit-breakers to our microservices using WildFly Swarm.
* If time permits we will deploy our microservices to AWS using Docker.
Focal points for the workshop will be explaining basic concepts, exploring tradeoffs, open-ended discussion as well as hands-on coding.
* JDK 8 or higher.
* WildFly 10 or higher - please make sure to use the full Java EE 7 version.
* NetBeans 8 or higher (NetBeans 8.1 recommended) - please make sure to use the Java EE edition of NetBeans.